- Are you dealing with divorce? We can help with divorce planning and asset division strategies.
- Do you have elderly parents or an aging spouse? We create plans for financing care, whether it’s in-home, independent, assisted living, or long-term care.
- Do you have a mortgage? Are your monthly payments or your interest higher than they need to be? We can analyze mortgage payoff and refinance options to find the best solutions for you. We also coordinate directly with your lenders to make the process as smooth as possible for you.
- Are you wrestling with how to pay down debt? We’ll review your assets and income to create a plan to reduce your debt.
- Do you need bridge financing to purchase a new property before your existing home sells? Through Schwab Bank, we can provide Pledged Asset Line (PAL) or margin options, depending on how your portfolio is structured.
Having proper insurance coverage is a key part of a comprehensive financial plan. From protecting your family with basic coverage to addressing multigenerational estate planning, insurance can be a key building block.
Although we are not insurance brokers, we are happy to recommend professionals who can help assess your current coverage and meet additional needs. Note that we do not receive any compensation from insurance products or professionals we recommend.
Common insurance needs we address with our clients include:
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Health Insurance
- Long-Term Care Insurance
- Property & Casualty Insurance for High Net Worth Individuals and Unusual Assets
- Personal Liability Umbrella Policies
- Business Insurance
Taxes can be complex. We’ll work with your tax professional and estate planning attorney to create a proactive strategy to optimize your income, gift, and estate taxes. This can include:
- Roth conversions
- Tax-smart charitable giving strategies, including:
- Donor Advised Funds
- Gifting appreciated stock
- Qualified Charitable Distributions (QCDs) from IRAs
- Family gifting strategies
- Qualified educational transfers
- Qualified medical transfers
- Multigenerational tax planning
- Retirement plan contributions
- Itemized deduction planning
From 401(k)s to stock incentives, we can help optimize your compensation while minimizing the impact of taxes. We often help clients:
- Understand the investment options in their 401(k), 403(b), or 457 retirement plans
- Analyze equity-based compensation including Incentive Stock Options (ISOs), Non-Qualified Stock Options (NQSOs), Restricted Stock Units (RSUs), and Employee Stock Purchase Plans (ESPP)
- Understand 83(b) election and Net Unrealized Appreciation (NUA) opportunities
- Coordinate, strategize, and execute 10b5-1 plans
- Manage concentrated stock positions
- Plan for liquidity events, such as mergers, buyouts, IPOs, or sales of closely held businesses
- Determine contribution and payout strategies for deferred compensation programs
Do you know what will happen to your wealth upon your passing? We work with your estate planning attorney to put a plan in place throughout your lifetime and after. This can include:
- Reviewing your current trust, will, and estate plan
- Confirming Advance Medical Directives and the appropriate Powers of Attorney are in place
- Ensuring your accounts are titled properly and beneficiary designations are accurate
- Where appropriate, implementing additional planning tools, such as:
- Spousal Lifetime Access Trusts (SLATs)
- Grantor Retained Annuity Trusts (GRATs)
- Charitable Lead Trusts (CLTs)
- Charitable Remainder Annuity Trusts (CRATs)
- Family Limited Partnerships (FLPs)
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trusts (IDGTs)
- Qualified Personal Residence Trusts (QPRTs)
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trusts (ILITs)
- Self-Canceling Installment Notes (SCINs)
- Private Annuities
Are you saving for college for your children or grandchildren? Is an UTMA/UGMA custodial account or a 529 the right choice for you? How does that impact their ability to qualify for financial aid through the FAFSA? And if you select a 529, which one should you choose?
We can advise on all of these decisions while providing you with recommendations for how much to save and how to invest to reach your family’s educational goals.